Start Date: ASAP, apply ASAP
Duration: 6 months
Category: Full Time (unpaid)
Location: New York
The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA; www.wfuna.org) is a global nonprofit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations. Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of over 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We have offices at the United Nations in both New York and Geneva, and host interns in both locations. Our programs focus on such issues as the responsibility to protect, climate change, human rights, and nuclear disarmament.
Position Description --- Legal and Research Intern
The Legal and Research Intern will assist the organization with a variety of activities, including but not limited to:
• Writing Memorandums of Understanding and other legal documents between WFUNA and UN agencies, UNAs, and other partners
• Researching international structures and legal requirements for WFUNA programs and fundraising
• Assistance in the preparation of materials for our 2012 Plenary Assembly
• Assisting the Secretary-General in meeting preparation for issues surrounding legal and relevant issues
• Drafting reports and documentation on issues of importance as requested by the Secretary-General
• Involvement in other general tasks and activities when necessary
Some of the opportunities:
• The legal and research intern will have access to the United Nations building, conferences and events and resources such as the UN Library.
• This position offers an excellent networking opportunity to make contact with UN staff, diplomats, UNA members, academics, and NGOs, and meet other interns working at the UN.
• Applicant must be self-motivated, energetic, be vigilant about staying on tasks and meeting deadlines.
• Strong writing, excellent communications, and solid organizational skills are necessary.
• Advanced legal student or legal graduate
• Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language is a plus
To apply, please go to www.wfuna.org/intern and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.