Legally Global is meant to inspire law students from around the world to explore international opportunities to advance their careers and make an impact in the global legal community.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Legal Advocacy Fellow at BPSOS, Inc.
BPSOS is a community based organization with 10 offices in the U.S.and 3 overseas operational locations in Malaysia,TaiwanandTaiwan. Our international initiatives include: refugee protection work, civil society development and anti-human trafficking projects.
We are looking for a legal/advocacy fellow to serve at least 1-year term inBangkok,Thailand. If you are ready for a unique opportunity to serve as an ardent advocate for refugee rights while honing your legal skills in international law, then this position is for you!
- Counsel Vietnamese asylum seekers on UNHCR Refugee Status Determination process, standards and guidelines.
- Prepare and draft written applications, appeals and motions to re-open to UNHCR.
- Provide general legal counseling and assistance to Vietnamese asylum seekers, including educating them of Thailandlegal framework. Refer them to social services, whenever possible.
- Advocate with UNHCR for the rights of Vietnamese asylum seekers to due process.
- Create public awareness within region and outside region of the plight of Vietnamese asylum seekers.
- Develop and foster professional relationships with other NGOs and human rights organizations inThailand. Assist in fundraising efforts.
- CompileVietnamcountry conditions information and assist in preparation of relevant reports.
- Visit asylum-seekers and refugees detained inImmigrationDetentionCenter.
- Maintain partnership and build alliance with other legal aid and refugee protection organizations operating in Thailand.
- Reports to the International Initiatives Manager.
- JD preferred. Other graduate degrees in Sociology or social work related fields will be considered.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral.
- Fluency in Vietnamese preferred (oral required and some written desired).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Sensitivity to issues of asylum seekers, refugees and displaced people.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as individually.
To apply, please send your resume, a cover letter and three references to An Phong Vo at
email@example.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. We will interview candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled.