Tuesday, November 22, 2011

100,000 Strong: Student Resources for Studying in China

Any student can potentially be part of 100,000 Strong! The 100,000 Strong Initiative (www.state.gov/100000strong) works to help educational organizations and institutions increase their funding so that they can offer more opportunities for study abroad, and more financial aid and scholarships to students. There are a wide variety of programs for people who want to study in China, including a number of U.S. Government-sponsored programs, as well as scholarships offered by the Chinese government. Students should consult with their local schools, colleges, and universities about the range of opportunities that may be available and explore a variety of resources on funding and programs.

Note: Including mention of programs (other than U.S.-Government sponsored programs) on this fact sheet does not constitute U.S. Department of State or U.S. Government endorsement of these programs.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What U.S. Government Programs Exist to Help Me Study in China?
Information about these and other U.S. Government-sponsored study abroad opportunities can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs website: http://exchanges.state.gov.
  • Fulbright U.S. Student Program (http://fulbright.state.gov/grants/student-program/u-s-citizen.html): The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study or conduct research abroad for one academic year. Additional funding is available for critical language study.
  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program): The Gilman Program provides scholarships to U.S. undergraduates with financial need for study abroad, including students from diverse backgrounds and students going to non-traditional study abroad destinations.
  • Critical Language Scholarship Program (CLS) (http://clscholarship.org): The CLS Program provides fully-funded, group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven- to- ten weeks overseas. U.S. undergraduate, masters and doctoral students of diverse disciplines and majors are encouraged to apply for scholarships in one of thirteen critical languages.
  • National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) (www.nsliforyouth.org): NSLI-Y provides merit-based scholarships to American high school students and recent high school graduates to study seven critical languages overseas for the summer or an academic year through a combination of classroom instruction, applied learning opportunities, peer relationships, and host family experiences.
  • Boren Scholarships (www.borenawards.org): Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are funded by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), which focuses on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study deemed critical to U.S. national security.
  • The Language Flagship (http://thelanguageflagship.org): Flagship Centers and Flagship Partner Programs offer students intensive language instruction to enhance their academic degrees through the achievement of superior-level language proficiency and cultural competence. Programs are available at both undergraduate and graduate levels and include periods of rigorous language and cultural immersion at Overseas Flagship Centers. The Language Flagship also funds a select number of pilot K–12 programs designed to provide an articulated path of language instruction for students from elementary school through college and graduate school.
How Can I Find Out More About Other Programs in China?
  • The Institute of International Education (IIE) (www.iie.org/en/program-finder): IIE maintains a database for undergraduate and graduate programs for study abroad.
  • Zinch (www.zinch.com/studyinchina): Zinch, a private U.S. information management company with operations in China, offers an independent and free website for U.S. students looking for information about studying in China.
How Can I Connect with Other Students Who Have Studied in China?
  • Project Pengyou (www.projectpengyou.com): In support of the 100,000 Strong Initiative, the Golden Bridges Foundation launched a new online platform – Project Pengyou – to connect Americans that have lived and studied in China.
What are Some Good Programs for Students Traditionally Underrepresented in Study Abroad?
In addition to the U.S.-Government-sponsored programs listed above, below are some resources on study abroad for students who have traditionally been underrepresented in this area.
  • Community College Students: This Initiative seeks community college partners to pilot a “mini-mester” program in China designed for community college students who cannot take a full summer or semester away from home, work, or school.
  • HBCU Students: Interested students may wish to contact the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (www.thurgoodmarshallfund.net) or the United Negro College Fund (www.uncf.org). Both are working hard to identify and expand opportunities for minority students to study in China.
  • Latino/Hispanic Students: Interested students may wish to contact the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) (www.hacu.net) to learn more about opportunities the Association is developing.
  • High School Students: Talk to your teacher, your principal, your parents, your district’s state superintendent – be proactive in finding opportunities!
  • Chinese Bridge Program: 10,000 scholarships (2,500 annually for four years) will be available through various Confucius Institutes in the United States. These scholarships will be available to U.S. students in high school, college, or graduate school, as well as teachers and educators. Starting with summer 2011 programs, these scholarships will cover all in-country costs and provide 10,000 Americans with the opportunity to study in China. Interested students and educators should apply to the nearest Confucius Institute, which administers these Bridge Scholarships. For a list of locations and further information, visit: http://english.hanban.org.
What Other Resources Can Help Me Find Programs and Scholarships for Studying in China?

No comments:

Post a Comment