The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH – fidh.org) seeks to hire its representative to the European Union in Brussels.
The representative will be responsible for the definition and implementation of FIDH advocacy activities before the European Union's institutions, under the supervision of FIDH's director for Intergovernmental organizations.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Defining and implementing FIDH’s advocacy activities to the EU, which include:
ü informing EU institutions and decision makers on FIDH's activities and productions;
ü designing, and implementing strategic advocacy on specific country situations or thematic policies;
ü setting-up and guidance of advocacy visits of human rights defenders to the EU institutions, while training defenders for a sustained interaction;
ü drafting, publishing and discussing advocacy notes, open letters and press releases on country situations and/or issues related to FIDH's thematic priorities;
ü evaluating the influence of EU's external policy on the promotion and respect of human rights in third countries.
- Interacting with FIDH’s geographic and thematic desks based in Paris and around the world, in order to define EU advocacy strategies, and to inform FIDH's partner and member organisations on the EU's policies which impact on human rights in third countries.
- Reporting on and evaluating FIDH's activities to the EU, through its dedicated reporting system.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum requirement of a Master (or J.D.) in law, political sciences, or international relations, with a excellent knowledge of international human rights law, and the UN institutions;
- At least 4 to 5 years of relevant professional experience, notably on human rights advocacy at the EU level or in an international environment;
- Excellent and proven oral and written skills;
- Written and spoken fluency in English and French. Spanish and other languages are a plus.
- Ability to represent FIDH's work and partners at a high level and in the media;
- Strong sense of initiative, ability to think conceptually and creatively;
- Ability to manage a small team;
Salary: depending on professional background
Contract: permanent and full-time position