Legally Global is meant to inspire law students from around the world to explore international opportunities to advance their careers and make an impact in the global legal community.
Monday, December 5, 2011
Staff Attorney at New York Legal Assistance Group
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) seeks a highly motivated attorney for a full‑time position within NYLAG Immigrant Protection Unit.
NYLAG is a not‑for‑profit law office that provides free civil legal services to low‑income New Yorkers. The staff attorney will provide assistance to low‑income clients with a wide range of immigration matters including citizenship, adjustment of status, representation of victims of domestic violence and victims of crimes, and other areas of immigration law.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Represent immigrant clients on a variety of immigration issues at USCIS, Immigration Courts and Board of Immigration Appeals;
2. Prepare filings of immigration applications for adjustment of status, citizenship, asylum, etc.
3. Conduct client consultations and track client cases, progress of applications, and follow up;
4. Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles, and legal codes;
5. Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions, and appeals;
6. Coordinate outreach to community organizations and provide group presentations to advise potential clients of their legal rights and entitlements.
‑ Admission to the New York State Bar;
‑ Fluency in Spanish;
- At least 1 year of immigration law experience;
‑ Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
‑ Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
‑ Excellent organizational skills;
‑ Basic computer skills;
‑ Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
To be considered for this position, send a cover letter and resume to Irina Matiychenko, the Director of Immigrant Protection at email@example.com or by mail to New York Legal Assistance Group, 7 Hanover Square 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004. We may ask for writing samples and references before interviewing.
The New York Legal Assistance Group is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.