International Law Programme
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) was established in 1965 as an autonomous body within the United Nations with the purpose of enhancing the effectiveness of the United Nations through appropriate training and research. To meet its mandate, UNITAR provides training to assist countries in meeting the economic and social challenges of the 21st century.
The International Law Programme (ILP) has over 40 years of experience in designing and implementing training courses in order to promote better knowledge and understanding of international law and standards among practitioners to uphold the global respect of international principles. The training activities conducted by ILP address various practice areas within international law: Law of Treaties, Law of the Sea, International Protection of Human Rights, Refugee Law, International Criminal Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Investment Law, International Trade Law, etc. Within this range of international law topics, ILP has also developed special expertise in providing training in International Environmental Law.
Internship / Traineeship
For this position ILP is looking for a Russian speaking intern/trainee for its tailor-made training activity 'MGIMO/UNITAR Regional International Law Programme for Government Officers from the Russian Federation and other CIS Countries', which is a customized international law training activity tailored according to the specific needs of the Member States in the form of a regional capacity building activities.
ILP offers a limited number of internship/traineeship positions for advanced university students or graduates interested in enhancing their knowledge and gaining practical experience in the field of project management. ILP welcomes applications from qualified candidates to work for a period of five months on a full-time and unpaid basis at the headquarters of UNITAR in Geneva, Switzerland.
Interns/trainees are expected to assume a high level of responsibility and to be committed and proactive. Interns/trainees have the opportunity to provide valuable assistance to the work of UNITAR while gaining working experience on project management and International Law.
Under the supervision of the Training Associate in charge of the activity, interns/trainees will are expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Assisting in the registration of the applicants;
- Liaising with the candidates, participants and lecturers;
- Carrying out bibliographical research;
- Translating and preparing the training material;
- Assisting with all administrative and logistical arrangements for the course;
- Drafting of the evaluation report once the programme has ended
- Carrying out post-course follow-up work
Eligible applicants are students currently enrolled in a bachelor/masters program (Internship) or having accomplished their academic education in international law or related fields (Traineeship). Furthermore, the following competences are strictly required:
- Eligible applicants should have excellent knowledge of Russian and have a good command of French and/or English.
- Excellent computer skills are required, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi- ethnic environment characterized by sensitivity and respect for diversity.
In order to apply send your CV and a motivation letter to email@example.com with the subject line 'Internship/Traineeship MGIMO'. The deadline for submitting the applications is 7 January 2012, and the starting date of the internship will be 23 January 2012.